• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 tbsps corn flour
• ¼ tbsp turmeric powder
• ½ cup curd
• ½ cup water
• ½ tbsp baking soda
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 1 pinch salt
• Oil for frying
Jalebi Syrup Ingredients
• 1 cup raw honey
• 1 cup water
• Good quantity of saffron
• ¼ cardamom powder
• Mix all-purpose flour, cornflour, turmeric powder, curd, lemon juice, salt, water for 5 minutes till the dough turns smooth and of a ribbony consistency
• Mix baking soda and keep aside
• Make the jalebi syrup separately by mixing raw honey, water, saffron and cardamom powder in a vessel and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for 5 minutes
• In another frying pan, pour oil for frying and let it heat for 5 minutes.
• Pour the jalebi mixture into a cone or a bag with a small hole to squeeze the dough for frying
• Squeeze out the dough with the jalebi batter into the hot oil in a circular manner.
• Fry the jalebi till its golden brown.
• Keep it separate on a paper, so that the excess oil will be absorbed from the jalebis
• Then place the jalebis in the jalebi honey syrup.
• Take it off and serve another deliciously healthy dessert.
Guideline for substituting Honey with Sugar
• Use about 2/3-3/4 cup of honey for every cup of sugar. This is because honey is actually sweeter than sugar.
• Honey is a liquid, so you'll need to reduce the liquid in the recipe a little. Do this at a rate of 1/4 cup less liquid for every cup of honey used in the recipe.
• Honey is also a little acidic. To counter-act this, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for every cup of honey used.
• Honey causes baked goods to brown more quickly, so reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees F and watch carefully as the time gets close.
1 cup of sugar = ¾ cup honey
Decrease liquid called for in recipe by ¼ cup
For each cup of honey in baked goods, add ½ teaspoon baking soda